Sunday, January 24, 2010

BUTTERMILK ROLLS AND CINNAMON ROLLS



Aunt Iva Cecil is on the right in this picture. My mother Modena is on the left, my great grandmother Amanda, in the middle, my brother Bob and I stand in front. Aunt Iva was like a grandmother to us, our grandmother was ill and died when we were young. I have very few recipes from family members, so many cooked without recipes and rarely wrote things down. I would like to share with family, friends and followers, what recipes I do have.

Buttermilk Rolls

1 cup luke warm buttermilk
1 cake yeast or 1 package dry yeast
1 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons shortening
1/4 teaspoon soda
2 1/2 to 2 3/4 cups flour

Pour buttermilk over salt, shortening and soda, mix. Crumble yeast with 1/2 cup flour into a bowl. Stir in liquid until yeast dissolves. Add remaining flour. Turn dough onto floured board. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes. Knead until smooth. Shape into rolls, place on greased pan, cover with damp cloth and let rise 1 to 1 1/4 hour.
Bake 15 to 20 minutes at 425 degrees for 25 minutes.*

*If you have a convection oven, I think 400 degrees for 15 minutes or until done.

Cinnamon Rolls

2 tablespoon butter, softened
1/2 cup sugar
2 teaspoon cinnamon

Make dough for buttermilk rolls, roll out dough; spread with butter, sugar and cinnamon. Roll dough like a jelly roll and cut in 1/2" slices. Let rise and bake 25 minutes at 400 degrees.*

Yield 2 dozen

*For convection oven, bake at 375 or 400 degrees for about 20 minutes.
I think that convection ovens are wonderful for breads and rolls. You will get an even browing without over cooking the bottom.



No comments:

Post a Comment