Saturday, March 13, 2010

IRISH BROWN BREAD


Mytymo is ready for the St Patrick's Day celebration.
Irish Brown Bread is a must to serve with Corned Beef and Cabbage, see recipe under Main Dish. My son-in-law is Irish and misses the real brown bread he grew up with in Ireland. I have tried several recipes and this one seems to be closest. Bernie and my daughter Melissa are leaving for 3 weeks in Ireland this coming Monday, a great way to celebrate St Patrick's Day. I have ask both of them to get Bernie's family to write down their brown bread recipe and bring it back to me. I'm afraid the difference is the grind of their whole wheat flour.
Brown Bread
~
3 cups whole wheat
1 cup of all-purpose unbleached flour
14 ounces of buttermilk
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoon of soda
~
Preheat oven to 425 degrees (I have not tried this in a convection oven)
~
In a large bowl mix dry ingredients. Add the buttermilk to form a sticky dough. I have used a Kitchen Aid free standing mixer with the beater used for cake. If not using mixer, turn onto floured surface and knead lightly. Don't over mix or knead.
Shape into round flat shape and place in a greased round cake pan. Cut an X in top of dough. Cover pan with another cake pan, this simulates the bastible pot. Bake for 30 minutes, remove the top pan and bake for 15 minutes longer.
Remove bread from pan and cover with a tea towel, sprinkle with water to keep the bread moist.

No comments:

Post a Comment